Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Wheel Lug upgrade

I make maintenance on my rig a priority and in doing so I remove the wheels often to clean and inspect tires, brakes, bearings, and suspension.

The factory wheel lugs have a thin covering on them that moves on the lug and frequently gets stuck in the lug wrench forcing them to be punched out of the socket, it slows me down, a distraction and damages the cover.

So I replaced them with solid stainless steel lug nuts.

I needed to know the specs of the lugs so I could order them, the dealers in my area acted like I was asking for a controlled substance when I explained what I was looking for.  After my upgrade, the lugs went from 19mm to 13/16 socket size.

So this is what I determined I needed -

1/2"-20 thread x 7/8" diameter cone x 1-5/8" height

and I found these:

Product type:
Trailer Wheel Lug Nut Package
Quantity Included In Our Package:
A Package Contains 20 Lug Nuts
Composition Type:
100% Solid Stainless Steel
Are These Stainless Caps?:
No - They are SOLID Stainless Steel
Nut Type:
Acorn Style
Thread Pattern:
1/2-20 Right Hand
Nut Length:
1-3/8" Long
Socket/Wrench Size:
Standard 13/16" Size

20 pack SOLID Stainless Steel Acorn Style Trailer Wheel 1/2" Lug Nuts Rust Proof

Comparison  - Stainless Steel replacement on left, Factory original on right.

Comparison  - Stainless Steel replacement on left, Factory original on right.

Factory Lugs

Stainless Steel Lugs





No comments:

Post a Comment