Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2017

Grill Upgrade - Original Factory grill to Weber Q 1000

Our 2016 Jayco White Hawk came with grill model DDR-BBQ-BLK. Also known as a Side Kick.
I loved the bumper mount and that it was configured to use the low-pressure propane connection in the rear.

Without getting into too many issues, the grill did not cook even and at the end of the second season the burner tube support had rusted and began to fail. The grill had been stored in the front compartment whenever not in use.

Jayco may have offered to replace it however, lets be honest, she went to Weber. My coupon Queen wife found a great deal on the Weber Q1000. All I had to do was find a way to plumb it to the low-pressure propane line, use the existing bumper mount that we love and find room to store in the front compartment. Ask her, that was a fair trade in her mind.



Factory Grill on top, Weber Q 1000 on Bottom
This idea works well, Setup, Takedown are easy and it stores well.




I used a cutting board for the base. I wanted a .5" or .75" inch thick plastic or composite cutting board but did not find one in the size I wanted. I needed 21" long and wanted at least 12" wide. For $21.00 at Walmart, we settled for a bamboo board, at least for now.

Farberware Bamboo Cutting Board, 15" x 21"
By: Farberware - Walmart #: 001481211

I removed the regulator in the Weber Grill and connected to the low-pressure fitting using the original hose and the quick connector from the original grill. The quick connect screwed onto the Weber gas valve in place of the regulator. I did not purchase the kit from the 2nd video listed, I used it to show me how to remove the regulator.

After I removed the quick connect fitting from the original grill and put it on the Weber gas valve, tested for leaks I was done.

I used these links as guides:
LP Quick Connect Conversion - Stoves & Grills

Weber Q Quick Connect Conversion


I added a small C-Clamp to the end of the board farthest away from the bumper to add stability to the board. I already have improvements to this in the work, More on that soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment